Week 37, 2017 - Shadow Woods

Sup folks! This week I headed to up to White Hall to help my friend and sound yogi Mike Franklin run one of the stages at the 3rd annual Shadow Woods Metal Festival, and it was fucking amazing! Driving in early Thursday to unload the gear, we spent the afternoon setting up and testing equipment. Afterwords, along with the other Thursday early birds, we walked up to the camp's pavilion for an acoustic show being run by our friend Greg Serio - which was a great way to set the tone for what the weekend had in store. There was 3 rotating stages that would run bands all day Friday and Saturday - our Woodland stage down at the amphitheater, a stage in the hall of the camp lodge, and the main stage which was setup at the camp's field.

At the crack of noon Friday music kicked off on the main stage. After soundcheck for our first band of the day, viking-metelers Fiakra, I quickly rode the bicycle that Mike brought along to the top of the hill to catch a bit of the first band. I'll tell ya, it's a surreal experience to ride a mountain bike through the woods towards the sound of blaring Chilean death metal, it was awesome! Throughout the day I got to see one killer band after another - the stoner plod of Foehammer, the heavy and intricate instrumentals Dark Water Transit, the amazing Heavy Temple who went full rockstar (you could seriously tell they were having a blast up there!), California trio Castle who threw down some super tight power-thrash - and this was all just on our stage! Closing out Friday night in the hall was the mystic heavy ritualism of The Owls Are Not What They Seem for York, PA. Their performance was a bizarre and intoxicating experience - the smell of sage filling the room as the band droned on, my legs and back starting to give from the day's events.

After the music wrapped on Friday, the rest of the night was spent drunk exploring the campsite, making bacon the the lodge's kitchen (seriously may have been the best bacon ever), and shooting the shit with fellow sound dudes Carlos Guillen and Mike Walls. Unfortunately I had another gig Saturday afternoon so I couldn't stay for the second round of bands, which was a bummer since the legendary Panopticon was headlining the woodland stage... Shadow Woods was fucking incredible and I was super happy to have been a part of it. I don't know what next year holds in store, but I definitely hope this happens again! \m/

Foehammer 


Fiakra


Dark Water Transit 


Unhallowed 


Erlkonig 


Sloth Herder 


Nechochwen



Dead In The Manger 


Castle 


KYOTY 


The Owls Are Not What They Seem 





On top of SWMF, I just got hired by EventEQ as an audio stage hand - a freelance gig that sends me out to different locations to help setup/ break down equipment for various events. It's not quite as exciting as live music, but I'm glad I'm getting experience working on larger crews and handling different equipment. These pics were from my fist gig at UMD.




Owenpalooza IX

Lastly on Sunday I played the 9th annual Owenpalooza down in Serverna Park with some friends. I wasn't able to get any pics since I was on stage, but as always it was a ton of fun with some awesome weather and great food, and the man of the hour himself Steve Owen sounded excellent in his performances. Next year for Owen X I'll be sure to grab some pics and commemorate what's sure to be a killer time!

Alright folks that does it for this week. I'll be back at Joe's for some stuff tonight so I'm sure that I'll return next week to report on all the action. Until then!


Comments