Week 34, 2017

Sup folks, I didn't have a ton of time to write this week due to another gig, but I wanted to make sure I still got something out. As always there's just so much awesome music to talk about all the time, so here's a small glimpse of what I got to catch this week -

8/23/17 - The Slim Jimmies // The Lounge Act // Little Lungs // Middle Kid

Wednesday was LOUD. Frederick's Middle Kid kicked things off with some awesome fuzzy-pop followed by the melodic indie stylings of local's Little Lungs. NY's The Lounge Act hit the crowd with a great set of Arctic Monkeys/ Strokes-esque jams, and the Slim Jimmies ended the show with some ambient dream-pop.

Middle Kid


Little Lungs


The Lounge Act


The Slim Jimmies


8/24/17 - Joy on Fire

Thursday I headed over to Paulie Gee's to hang with a friend and to catch Joy On Fire throw down some awesome sax-powered fuzz jams. If you haven't gotten a chance to see these guys I definitely recommend it, they're fucking awesome!

Joy On Fire


8/25/17 - The Flying Faders // The Aqualads

The first of 2 shows I was working friday was a 1-2 punch of some excellent traditional surf-rock. Now I could probably sit here racking my brain for as many surf puns as I can muster, but instead I'll just recommend that you check out both The Flying Faders and The Aqualads if you're looking to hang-ten (sorry!) and get your boogie on.

The Flying Faders


The Aqualads



8/25/17 - Violet Ripken // Sunniva // Woongi // The Water

Round 2 in the pizza basement on Friday switched things up a bit. Sunniva from Frederick started the show with some psychedelic rockers followed by an onslaught of punk mayhem by returning locals Violet Ripken. Chicago's Woongi laid down a set of duel-bass wielding psych jams that almost felt like Muse meets MGMT, it was awesome! Lastly but certainly not least was Baltimore's own The Water who ended the night a fantastic performance of loop-based instrumentals complete with a light show.

Sunniva


Violet Ripken


Woongi


The Water



8/27/17 - F City // Elephant Wrecking Ball // Deaf Scene

After riding bikes and drinking with friends all day I almost didn't make this one, but I'm definitely glad I did. I hadn't been to the 8x10 in a while, but this was definitely an awesome show to come back to. When I got there F City were already on stage throwing down a loud set of gogo-punk rockers. It was the first time I'd seen them with their new singer Lala Anderson and it was fantastic (that scream at the end was unreal!). Brooklyn's Elephant Wrecking Ball hit the stage for some dubbed out jazz instrumentals and some seriously sick grooves. Deaf Scene, who were on tour with EWB, closed out the night the only way they know how - by rocking the fuck out with their killer original instrumental jams. They brought the drummer from EWB back on stage to play the last few songs with them, and it was so cool I forgot to take pictures.

F City


Elephant Wrecking Ball


Deaf Scene


Alright cool. See you next week!

Comments