Week 30, 2017

Earlier this week, a friend of mine shared an article with me that outlined a "10 step guide to clearer thinking through essay writing". I really enjoyed the article, but what stood out to me most after my first read through were these two ideas - The first (to paraphrase) was that if you become bored with your writing, so will your readers. However the second was that a C or D paper is still better than a 0, so regardless of how you feel about the assignment, still do your best to turn something in. In a way that sums up how I've been feeling about this blog lately.

I don't tend to make posts about my emotional state on social media, but I've been going through some stuff lately, and it's caused some of the things I work on and consider my passion to feel dull and unfulfilling. Between recording myself or a client, freelance production, running live sound, blogging about live sound, starting a new podcast (and all the editing involved), seeing a show, or just playing guitar in my bedroom, music and audio is still my favorite thing and is responsible for some of the greatest joy I've experienced my entire life. But it can really wear a person out. It wears me out.

To say that this blog has felt a little uninspired lately would be accurate. "This band's great!" "That band's great!" "Indie! Awesome! Killer!"...

...Look, as much as I like to remain positive that's not how I always feel. Sometimes running a show is the last place I want to be. Most bands truly are nice and easy to work with, but there is the occasional diva, and when they play on the nights you're not feeling it it's a fucking nightmare. "Sure, take 45 minutes to setup your stuff... Sure, let's mic up your ridiculously loud amp cause you can't take my word for it... Sure, setup your own fucking PA cause you're a dense fucking moron and just need to do it your way..." *deep breath*

Those are of course extreme cases, but at the end of a busy week hearing and helping so many bands, sometimes the last thing I want to do is sit down and write about it. Yet here I am, because at the end of the day I love doing this. C's are better than F's and I've made a promise to myself to keep putting these write-ups out every single week, regardless of how I'm feeling. I've heard about too many cool project ideas like this that discontinue, and I really don't want this to be one of those things. There is so much cool music in Baltimore, and if I can help shed even a small light and write about what's going on then I'm glad to do it.

So I apologize if things have felt a little phoned in lately, but I also want to thank you if you've been sticking around. After reading the guide my friend sent me, I've felt inspired to really dive into my work and improve the content I'm producing. I don't want to be bored by this stuff, and you as the readers deserve better. So how will I be improving content you ask? You know I'm not really sure, but giving a shit might be a good first step, and I think some reformatting of the page itself is in order. Also, my first podcast episode is ready to rock... I've just been slacking on getting the artwork put together (But I did reach out to make that happen so it will be out ASAP!)


Alright, so I gotta hit the grocery store for some salad fixings and a few cans of albacore, but when I finish lunch I'll be talking all about this week's shows.

Click the links above band photos to check out the artists' music!

7/25/17 - Deer Leap // En Route // Cheshi // Little Lungs

As I mentioned last week I hit the mountains the weekend of Artscape to go camping, so Tuesday was my first show back at Joe's. It had been nice to get away, but I was definitely still in recovery mode. My car had broken down the day before... perfect timing for having just spent 3 nights in the woods, the only thought on my mind being a hot shower and clean clothes... but it was nice to be back at it, and this was the perfect show to ease me back in. Things kicked off promptly at 8 (which I think is good for these early weeknight shows) with Little Lungs, a Baltimore based quartet who've arranged some awesome fuzzed out grooves around the songs of singer/ guitarist Leena Rhodes. They'll be back at Joe's on August 23rd if you didn't catch them the first time (or want to catch them again!) Up next was En Route from Philadelphia, an indie trio who threw down both some high energy rockers, as well as some smooth mid-tempo jams that felt like country ballads run through a bad dream, but in a good way. CT's Deer Leap hit the stage for some straight up Emo revival (Trad-Emo??) Seriously, for 30 minutes the pizza basement became a 1997 rom-com, very likely starring Rachael Leigh Cook. But don't get me wrong these guys were tight - their arrangements were thoughtful and everyone seemed in sync. It was a good show. Lastly, and absolutely not least, was Frederick MD's Cheshi, who annihilated the crowd with their theatrically dynamic arrangements and the unstoppable vocal power of singer Ashil Cheshire. This was a fun one. Setups were quick and all the bands rocked.

Deer Leap


En Route


Little Lungs


Cheshi


7/26/17 - Elle Casazza // The Upstarters

The 1-2 combination of Elle Casazza and The Upstarters was the perfect soundtrack for the midsummer vibes on Wednesday night. Chicago-based singer Elle Casazza and her band kicked it off with a set of soul and r n'b powered party tunes, and made for some killer music to dance along to. Her music was a tad reminiscent to Amy Winehouse or Duffy - high energy pop with a nod to the classic tunes of the 50's and 60's

I had first seen The Upstarters early last year when they played the new Joe's for the first time, but holy crap I don't remember them being this good! Seriously, they pumped out one ska-horned party number after another, and by the end the entire place was skanking along! They'll be a part of the Maryland Independent Label Festival at Fish Head on August 12th.

Elle Casazza


The Upstarters



7/27/17 - No Please // Copper Marmalade // Moth Broth // 50 Foot Woman

Whether it's in Guided by Wire, Santa Librada, or as the 50 Foot Woman, Rahne Alexander always brings the thunder to her performances Downsquares - opening Thursday's show with an acoustic set of powerful originals and Cohen covers. Baltimore duo Moth Broth was up next, laying down some excellently crafted and harmony filled synth-pop (or self described witchpop) by way of a mini korg and fx-laden autoharp. It was the perfect lead in to one of my returning favorites Copper Marmalade (Baltimore's Graham Crisler). This was the first time I'd seen CM with his new organ, and it's definitely improved his sound - minimal jams carried by light electronic percussion and Mr. Crisler's unique falsetto. Closing out the show was a solo performance by No Please (formerly Hystermajesty), who ended the night with a set of dreamy ballads and folk-punk anthems. After the show I found myself bar and house-hopping until dawn, the morning sun eventually calling me home.

50 Foot Woman



Moth Broth


Copper Marmalade


No Please



7/28/17 - Voodoo Pharmacology // Bon Bon Vivant // The Cleanse

I took Friday off so I could catch Voodoo Pharmacology's album release show at The Windup Space. After fighting off a hangover and locating where I left my car the night before, I got there kinda early to help sound guru Mike Franklin setup and to once again scope the Presonus board they have over there. Following a performance by Gilded Lily Burlesque who was providing entertainment throughout the night was Baltimore's The Cleanse (I forgot try and take pics until after the lights went out, sorry!), a bluesy-trio of rockers led by guitar-magician Quinton Randall. The band ended their set with a 12 minute blues jam filled to the brim with insane guitar work - transforming The Windup Space into a smoke filled roadhouse as they wailed their way to the end of an excellent performance. Voodoo Pharmacology was next, playing songs from their new album Water, Stay Down. As predicted they sounded excellent - honky tonk and country-flavored murdered ballads combined with Lynchian sensibilities - Their songs of death and depravity provided a great backdrop for the city as it waited out warnings of flood. Ending the night was the jazzy blues stylings of New Orlean's Bon Bon Vivant. The band was great, but I made an early exit to tie one on with my roommates... which somehow turned into another jam-filled all nighter. Really glad I went to catch the show, The Voodoo album was a long time coming, and it's great to finally see the culmination of all their hard work.

The Cleanse


Voodoo Pharmacology


Bon Bon Vivant


Alright that's it for me. I worked a show last night I'm still recovering from, but that's a story for next week. Thanks again for reading, and I'll catch ya next time!


Comments

  1. I give it an A. Keep up yhe giod work John. Jam sesh soon? Giving a writer a gift of a book on writing is kind of like giving your wife a scale, no?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment