Week 29, 2017

Sup folks! It was a quick week for music on my end, Artscape was this weekend and I opted to escape the city and go camping with some friends instead of enduring the musical madness. Still, there's some cool stuff to report back so let's just cut to the action -

7/17/17 - Gorillaz // Danny Brown // Vince Staples

Monday I went with my brother to see Gorillaz at Merriweather. I was really curious to see what their stage show was going to be like since they're a cartoon band (holograms?), and didn't know what to expect. I've been to Merriweather a bunch, but I had never seen it as crowded as it was for this show, I mean it was packed! For a bunch of people it looked like this could have been their first concert, wearing their new Gorrilaz tees as they're being told old concert war stories from their excited parental chaperones. We found a pretty good spot on the upper lawn and the show kicked off with opening sets by Vince Staples and Danny Brown. Both of them sounded great, but it was hard to tell if they were really on stage or just playing cds because they kept the stage dark and the screens off for their entire performances, which I found pretty hilarious considering the proce of admission. I figured it must be to downplay the fact we're about to watch cartoons for the next hour and a half. However when Gorillaz finally hit the stage, Damon Albarn was front and center complete with full band and even a choir. It sounded amazing, the mix was just about perfect and overall the show was much more impressive than I expected from an animated rock band. In fact, the illustrated characters felt very downplayed as they made way fro return features by Danny Brown and Vince Staples, as well as a surprise appearance by Pusha T and Jamie Principle. It was pretty incredible, and I danced my ass off! After the show we threw down on some Korean bbq with some friends and called it a night.

Gorillaz



Danny Brown



Vince Staples


7/20/17 - KnifeCrime // Pelvis Presley // Terror Pigeon // Real Dom // Domino

Thursday was a Pre-Artscape show that opened with a lightning set of thrashy punk anthems by local duo KnifeCrime, followed by the returning Pelvis Presley who fired off a guitar powered tantrum of high energy originals. After the quick 1-2 from our awesome local support was party dance rocker Terror Pigeon from Nashville complete with their own PA, which was plenty of power for our fair pizza basement (at some point even bursting into a conga line), and Real Dom from Iowa who brought out some excellent auto-tuned power jams. Closing out the night was Domino with some duel harmony dream-poppers and killer good vibes.

KnifeCrime


Pelvis Presley


Terror Pigeon


Real Dom


Domino



Alright that's it. As a bonus I got to catch a bit of  a Whale Show rehearsal before I split town, they're gearing up to record and from what I heard it's sounding amazing! Until next week!

Comments