Week 16, 2017

This week was busy as shit. I'm fucking wiped and not in the best mood, but looking back there was some awesome bands that played and I wanted to make sure I still got this up, so here it is.

4/18/17- Abisha Uhl // Jackknife Stilleto 

Tuesday kicked off with Jackknife Stiletto who threw down some kick ass power punk, followed by Abisha Uhl and her high energy garage pop. Chill easy night.

Jackknife Stiletto


Abisha Uhl



4/19/17 - New York

Wednesday I made a trip up to New York with my friend Tom (with a quick stopover in Philly to get a cheesesteak!). Back in February I was listening to the Legion of Skanks podcast while I was running, and happened to hear the announcement for the show's annual battle of the bands. The deadline for the contest gave me enough time to write some original songs for the show using the alias Cushion Pusher, and out of 400 bands that entered, Cushion Pusher was selected to be part of their March Madness style tournament. Over the weeks of March my songs kept advancing to the following rounds and eventually I won, defeating Bryan Charles Wilson in the final round, and earning the cash prize as well as the opportunity to perform at this year's Skankfest comedy festival in late June. I went to the taping this week at The Creek and The Cave in Queens to confront the hosts for having Bryan Charles Wilson on the week after he lost (he LOST! lol) and to inquire about the whereabouts of my prize money. It was a hilarious and awesome experience, and it was surreal to be hanging out with one of my favorite comedians Big Jay Oakerson. It was a fucking blast! Here's a link to the songs I wrote for the show, as well as a link to the episode I appear on (I show up around 1:10:30)

https://cushionpusher.bandcamp.com/


LOS - Episode 306




4/20/17- Trans Trenderz #LegalizePetty

Thursday was an all trans hip-hop show Downsquares featuring King Giselle, Lucas Charlie Rose, and Neeko Freeman. It was a light crowd unfortunately but each artist still performed their hearts out, and it was great to see passion for the music regardless of who's watching.

King Giselle


Lucas Charlie Rose


Neeko Freeman



4/21/17 - Grace Vonderkuhn // Them Animals // Unholy Sights // Wae

The biggest takeaway for me on Friday was that Wilmington, DE's Grace Vonderkuhn is a badass. Her and her band are fucking excellent and I was basically blown away by their performance. Also joining in on the fun was Naptown's Unholy Sights, dream-popper's Wae, and local riff lords Them Animals who closed it out with their crunchy stoner-blues.

Wae


Unholy Sights


Grace Vonderkuhn


Them Animals



4/22/17 - Nina Gala // Small Axe // All Talk // Modern Nomad

Mimosas at brunch followed by what seemed to be good news from the spiritual beyond led to a pretty great show Saturday night. Nina Gala returned to open the show, followed by Small Axe and their acoustic tag team. Boston's All Talk rocked it out with some verbed out surf garage, and Modern Nomad ended the night with their killer psychedelic burger-jams. After the show the night continued til dawn with further insanity at a buddy's birthday party. TV on the fritz.

Nina Gala


Small Axe


All Talk


Modern Nomad



4/23/17 - Mothpuppy // Blois // Adios Ghost // Reagan Cats

Sunday I felt like shit. Time was at a crawl and life wasn't exactly treating me so well. This show was a long one, but all the bands were nice and there was a good crowd (hence blurry pics). Also I wanted to kill the guy that kept whistling.

Mothpuppy


Blois


Adios Ghost


Reagan Cats



Ok that's it. I have a recording session before tonight's show with Mothership and Foghound so I'll catch y'al next time, peace!

Comments