Week 10, 2017

Hey gang! The fear of Winter’s revenge has sent the city into panic, casting even the bravest of us into the fires of Costco for toilet paper and dairy products. But falling temperatures and threats of snow hasn’t stopped the need for pizza and rock music. So once again here’s my report back from my latest adventures in the pizza basement (and beyond!)… 

03//09/17 - James Von Lenz & The Cactus Lanyards // Run Come See // Tomato Dodgers


I hit up the Metropolitan in Annapolis on Thursday for a great lineup that kicked off with my friend James Von Lenz and his band The Cactus Lanyards. When the full band’s on hand to perform with James like they were on Thursday night, it really takes the music up a notch and definitely left an impression on the crowd. Following the ol’ Lanyards was DC’s Run Come See with some excellent twangy folk complete with some kind of electric lap steel, and the Tomato Dodgers rocked it home with their special brand of glammed out power pop. 





03/10/17 - Dentist // Caz Gardiner // The Get Smart

Friday’s show kicked of with New Jersey’s Dentist who played a fantastic set of modern indie-surf before making way for the powerful voice of Caz Gardiner and her rocked out soul music. Poppy-mod rockers The Get Smart sunk hook after hook into the pro-pizza crowd, sending folks home with a beat in their step and a tune in their head. 





03/11/17 - Woodfir // Elias Krell & The No Good // Guided By Wire 

Foregoing 311 altogether, Saturday started off loud and ended with a set reminiscent of VH1 Storytellers. Woodfir opened it up with some noisy indie pop and some killer jams that definitely made me turn my head. New York's Elias Krell & The No Good brought the vibe down a bit with what I’d maybe describe as jazz meets bluegrass - well arranged harmonies with soft piano and acoustic based arrangements. Lastly, Guided By Wire - Baltimore’s only all-trans Guided By Voices/ Neko Case cover band - performed a brilliant stripped-down acoustic set to end the show.





Special Addendum - 02/27/17 - Severna Park Taphouse Open Mic

I forgot to mention last week that I met up with my buddy Steve at the SP Taphouse last Monday for Open Mic. School of Rock Annapolis was there, living up to their name and rocking out some Raconteurs, Stevie Wonder, and Cranberries to the delight of the parent filled crowd, and honestly it was pretty great! My friend Steve Owen’s been playing guitar now for about 6-7 years, and it's really cool to see how he's put it together really since then, playing one of the best sets I’ve ever seen from him. I don’t drive down to hang at open mic as often as I’d like so it was awesome being able to catch up and perform a couple songs I’ve been working on. SP Taphouse Open Mic is the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month and I definitely recommend checking it out if you’re looking to play a couple songs or watch people sing Elvis versions of Cher.


Cool that’s it for now, catch y’all next week!

Comments