Week 33, 2016 - Invisible Sounds


Hey everybody! This was a strange week for Joe Squared. Long story short the kitchen and upstairs restaurant were closed for staff training. However, the music refused to die as we continued to host some killer bands this week Downsquares. Starting off with some raunchy garage rock and finishing it out with some solid country western, this week was start to finish fantastic, so let’s get to it! 


8/16/16 - The Stents // The Woolly Bushmen

Stents rule! That’s the short of it. Were I to elaborate I’d say that every time I see these guys perform they’re incredible. Badass surfy garage rock that literally attacks the crowd with guitars. I picked up they’re new CD Invisible Sounds after the gig (available on vinyl very soon!), and I highly recommend checking these guys out any chance you get. Joining our proud Stents was Orlando’s The Woolley Bushmen and… holy shit! It seems like every week I say I just saw my favorite band of the year, and band’s like The Woolley Bushman make it hard for me to decide who that really is. A three piece, organ heavy rock unit playing classic nugget’s grooves intensified by the unhinged energy of vocalist Simon Palombi. One of my favorite shows this year, and on a Tuesday! More shows like this please!




8/17/16 - Moni’s Place Open Mic

The Steampunk Spectacular that was supposed to happen at Joe’s was rescheduled, so I had the night off and headed down to Crofton for open mic at Moni’s Place. I fucking love the Moni’s Place Open Mic! Hosted by the one and only Charles Kavoossi, this is just about the best open mic I’ve ever been to. The crowd is really supportive, and it’s been a great way to meet a lot of the excellent local talent around Anne Arundel county. If you’re a musician looking for somewhere to play, I’d definitely say that the Moni’s Place Open Mic is an awesome place to start! Also, $4 Fireball, $5 Jamison! Cheers!



8/18/16 - Fireside Collective // The Manly Deeds

There wasn’t many people at Thursday’s show, but that just means that a bunch of people missed something awesome. On top of the always excellent (and Joe Squared favorites) The Manly Deeds, we were joined by Asheville, NC’s Fireside Collective. A very impressive 4-piece bluegrass unit with some real charm and a keen sense of humor. Though the crowd was modest, each song they played was met with a genuine applause break that rivaled (and even outdid) some of the larger crowds I’ve seen. My friend’s I’m serious, if you get a chance to catch Fireside Collective (winners of the 2016 Merlefest Band Competition!), do yourselves a favor and just do it! 




8/19/16 - Red Valley Nursery // Defenders. // Old Shadows

Friday was a long day for me for a few reasons, so latter portions of this evening are hard to recall. What I do remember is the killer doom sludge of Old Shadows, the awesome guitar and vocal work of Defenders. (thanks for the shirt!), and the pure riffitude of Red Valley Nursery. Shout out to bassist Matthew Mayer who also plays for The Shrapnels for once again holding down the low end and returning to Joe’s with a guitar heavy lineup of killer riff rock.





8/20/16 - Doug Stevenson & The Spades // Rattlewood // Olyver James

Saturday wrapped up my week with the return of the Joe Squared kitchen, and some good ol’ country western music. I want to give a special mention to Doug Stevenson and his band The Spades, who were a real class act kicking things off with a terrific set of authentic western swing and were the real highlight of the evening. Rattlewood and Olyver James also joined us and played to a packed house. I have a hunch North Avenue had missed their pizza fix, it was slammed!



Olyver James


That’s all for now. Next week I’ll be covering the OKAY Recordings Folk N' Campout happening in Greenridge, MD. Anyone interested in attending can contact Timm Winslow at okayrecordings1@gmail.com for details. Until then!

Comments