Week 24, 2016

Hello friends! Another week in the bag and another set of shows to report. Thanks to everybody who checked out last week’s inaugural post, I really appreciated the feedback and couldn’t wait to put this week’s entry together for everyone. 

This weekend rocked! North Avenue saw some amazing bands come through, all of whom bringing a unique energy to the table that definitely made some new fans out of people (they certainly made a new fan out of me!). So without further ado, let’s get to the action!

Thursday 6/16/16 - The Funky Bass & Beat Group Known As “F” // Daniel Ouellette & The Shobijin // Cowabunga Pizza Time // Turnt 

Thursday I hit the Windup Space for an Orlando Benefit concert to hang with our city's resident sound guru, Mike Franklin. Mike was gracious enough to drop some knowledge and show me a bit of the ropes around Windup as he helped run the show. All the bands were fantastic, starting off with Baltimore’s premiere ninja themed pizza party punk band (Or is it pizza themed ninja party punk??) Cowabunga Pizza Time. Shoutout to the Weird Beard Gummi Pizza that was provided by the band mid-set. Daniel Ouellette & The Shobijin from Boston performed an elaborate interactive set complete with props and a special guest appearance by Godzilla himself! By the time The Funky Bass & Beat Group Known As “F” hit the stage I was pretty toasty, and found myself dancing and rocking out to every song, it was amazing! Shoutout to Turnt for providing tunes between sets.







Friday 6/17/16 - Lenore LeNoire // Manners Manners // Joseph & The Beasts

Got to Joe Squared early on Friday to play with lighting a bit. Eventually we should be able to control the stage lights from the sound board but for now it’s fun just playing around with various lighting combinations, especially considering which bands that will be performing that night. I wasn’t familiar with any of the bands prior to the show, but I was certainly impressed. If you get a chance to see Joseph & The Beasts I say do it, those dudes were badass! It’s hard to describe their sound, but it was lush, dynamic, and very melodic. Definitely recommended. They're playing July 21st at the Metro Gallery.

Sound Guy Tip: If you’re sound checking a cover song prior to your set, you don’t have to play the whole song ;)





Saturday 6/18/16 - Stars And The Sea // channel Volatile // Bombenkinder

I was excited for Saturday because I’ve wanted to see Stars And The Sea for a while now. The past couple show’s they’ve played have been on nights I’ve been working other shows, so the fact that they came to Joe’s was awesomely convenient. The crowd made it tricky to get good pics plus the stage was fairly dark, but I still gave it a shot. Maybe I can rig something up for pics during more crowded shows, I’ll have to brainstorm on it. All the bands were sharp, and provided some really well written heavy tunes throughout the night. Also of note, you know you’ve had fun when both Type O Negative and Celine Dion get played at different points in the evening :P





That’s all for now folks. Sunday found me by the water fishing on a paddleboat which was the perfect way to wrap things up this weekend. I’ll be back next week with another round of shows for ya. Until next time!

Comments