Greetings! Week 23, 2016

Not sure how people tend to start these things so I’ll attempt a more traditional approach,

Hello! My name’s John, I’m a musician and audio engineer who’s recently moved to Baltimore in hopes of becoming more involved in the amazing creative community that lives here. Between performing sporadically around the city the last few years, and working the past 6 months running sound at the newly relocated Joe Squared on North Avenue, I’ve decided to take the leap and finally move to the city. Shortly after moving here, it dawned on me that I’d like to document my experience with the music of Baltimore, and thought that this blog would be a good way to start.


Ok, so now that all that intro nonsense is taken care of, here’s a look at my weekend and all the great bands I got to see!

Thursday 6/9/16 - The Manly Deeds // Jacob Panic Trio

I knew ahead of time that Thursday was going to be a fun night! Both The Manly Deeds and Jacob Panic have graced the stage at the new Joe Squared (Both are also old vets of Joe’s previous location up the street) and play some great original folk music. On top of the good tunes, the bar introduced me to the Joe Squared Party Bell, which if you could guess incited further raging throughout the evening. All in all it made for an easy night of good friends and good times! 




Friday 6/10/16 - Tool Shed CD Release // Fractal Cat // Hob’s Project // JW Rone

Tool Shed rocks! Roots music played with saws and tubs. When I heard they were playing their CD release at Joe’s I couldn’t wait! On top of that they were joined by Fractal Cat (or in this instance Fracousi-Cat) who played a few new songs from the band’s upcoming album during their awesome stripped down set. Friday was my first exposure to JW Rone and Hob’s Project, both of which were excellent and added wonderfully to the night’s soundtrack. 

JW Rone




Saturday 6/11/16 - Neo Atomic Motor // Cryptic Matter // Steel Samurai // Infinite Pizza

After romping around HONFest day-drinking, Saturday saw Joe Squared host it’s first metal show… and it was LOUD! All the bands brought it, but I want to give a special shoutout to Japan’s Neo Atomic Motor, who like an anime come to life brought a thunderous rock sound to our little basement unlike anything else we’ve ever had! Although we couldn’t understand each other’s words, the language of plugging gear in seems to be universal, as well as our mutual gratitude for working together. It was incredible, with rampant video game and television references throughout!






Sunday 6/12/16

No Joe’s on Sunday, but there was still plenty of music to be heard. Caught Andy Bopp at HONFest before making my way over to The Longest Day Festival in Canton to see Slow Lights and Fractal Cat, this time in proper full band form! Lastly, I drove with some friends up to Philly to see Flight of The Conchords (which thanks to this blog I just realized the musical pun within their name…) It was hilarious, and truly a fantastic way to end the weekend!


Fractal Cat (Again!)



So, is that it? Am I blogging now? I hope to be back next week with another rundown of all the awesome music I come across. Until next time!

Comments